Daniel A. Barrera
San Jose, CA
M.S. Degree in Mass Communications 4.0 GPA
San José State University, San José, CA 05/2017
B.A. Degree in English, Minor in Sociology 3.12 GPA
San José State University, San José, CA 05/2011
Mass Communications, Campus Radio, New Media, Public Speaking, Critical Thinking and Composition, Television News Magazine Creation, Race/Ethnic Relations, English and American Literature.
SPORTS RELATED EXPERIENCE:
Director of Broadcasting 1/14/18-8/6/18
Casper Horseheads Summer Collegiate Baseball Team, Casper, WY
• Broadcast all Horsehead games for the 2018 season as the “Voice of the Horseheads” on KMLD 94.5 FM.
• Record and edit radio spots that run on same station for Horsehead promotions and events.
• Conduct pre and post-game shows that include coach and player interviews.
• Update team website, write road game recaps, and assemble game notes and stat packs for every game.
Sports Broadcaster/News Show Host/Board Operator 1/3/2015-4/30/2018
90.5 FM KSJS San Jose, San José State University, San José, CA
• Provide play-by-play and some color commentary for San José State athletic teams such as Baseball, Football, Hockey, and Men’s and Women’s Basketball teams.
• Outline and conduct pre and post-game shows during live broadcasts.
• Adhere to strict FCC regulations during live broadcasts.
• Provide live analysis on in-game action using Stat Broadcast website.
• Set up and break down of radio equipment, including COMREX unit, Mackie mixing board, Shure dynamic microphones, and Sennheiser broadcast headsets.
• Ran studio mixing board for live FM radio broadcast, while logging meter readings and filling out traffic logs.
• Perform stop-sets and read Public Service Announcements, show promos, and legal station identifications during live broadcasts and shows.
• Provided live board operations and produced and anchored halftime studio update for live sports events such as college football, hockey, and basketball.
Media/Broadcasting Intern 7/2/2016-8/28/2016, 6/3/2017-8/19/2017
Vallejo Admirals Baseball Club, Vallejo, CA
• Provided play-by-play and color commentary for weekend games.
• Conducted interviews with Vallejo players before games.
• Wrote game recaps and player bios for team website.
News Intern 9/7/2016-6/10/2017
NBC Sports Bay Area, San Francisco, CA
• Printed scripts for on-air talent through iNews
• Stage managed and field produced on-site at live sports events.
• Located all plays through AVID Interplay Assist.
• Transcribed interviews.
• Assisted marketing with on-site events by passing out promotional posters/cards and recruiting fans to be on camera for television shots.
Production Intern 11/2015-6/2016
95.7 The Game, Entercom, San Francisco, CA
• Cut up and edited Oakland Raider highlights with Adobe Audition.
• Cut up and edited interviews with Adobe Audition.
• Handled social media presence during shows with live postings
to 95.7 Facebook and Twitter accounts.
• Screened calls and helped produce content for various sports talk
radio shows including the Chris Townsend Show.
FREELANCE SPORTS MEDIA EXPERIENCE:
Fill-In Play-by-Play Broadcaster 2/25/2017-Present
Cal State Monterey Bay, Seaside, CA
• Provide play-by-play for Cal State Monterey Bay men’s and women’s basketball on a fill-in basis.
Ice Hockey Play-by-Play Broadcaster 2/2016-Present
Black Dog Enterprises, San Jose, CA
• Provide play-by-play for various youth/amateur tournaments and San Jose State hockey games.
Fill-In Play-by-Play Broadcaster 1/2015-Present
San José State University Athletics, San Jose, CA
• Provide play-by-play on a fill-in basis for San José State athletic events such as baseball and women’s soccer for various digital streaming platforms such as the Mountain West Network, sjsuspartans.com, and the Spartan Digital Network.
• Also provided play-by-play and color commentary for San José State women’s basketball on university stream via Stretch Internet radio.
Administrative Assistant 3/1/2016-Present
Academic Advising, San José State University, San Jose, CA
• Assist the Underrepresented Minority support group within
• Assist with workshops that assist underrepresented minority
students and students on academic probation.
• Act as member of Chicanx/Latinx Student Success Task Force,
presenting to minority students strategies for college success.
Department Coordinator 5/27/2014-2/29/2016
Health Science & Recreation, San José State University, San José, CA
• Monitor and track department budget with Oracle DataWarehouse.
• Order supplies for department and process student paperwork.
• Screen faculty travel requests and create and process requisitions,
reimbursements, and directs payments on behalf of department.
• Maintain and update department website through Omni Update Campus.
• Screen and process Master’s in Public Health program applications.
TECHNICAL SKILLS: : Extensive experience with video and text editing (nearly all positions listed on resume), FM Radio Mixing Board, COMREX unit, audio equipment, Audacity, Windows Live Movie Maker, SD Cards, Pointstreak, BIS Software, iNews, AVID Interplay Assist, TeamViewer, Report-IT, Maestro, Camtasia, Microsoft Office Suite (Word, Powerpoint, Excel) CMS PeopleSoft database, Adobe Master Collection CS6 and Creative Cloud/Suite (includes Audition, Premiere Pro, and InDesign), Adobe Acrobat Pro and Reader, Google Apps, Gmail, Facebook, Twitter, Instagram, Lotus Notes, copy, fax, scanning machines and multi-use phones. Some experience with streaming services.
Interests: Extensive interest and knowledge of sports, including college and professional baseball, basketball, football, hockey, boxing, and soccer. Other interests include news, politics, new media technology and trends, literature, music, and film.